Cities - What's It Like Where You Are?

Aye, it’s a pretty special place - though Denver’s hardly the worst spot, only visited briefly a few years back for a Rockies game but loved what I did get to see!

Nice work! Any recommendations out of those five? I’m a big fan of travelling for a race.
As for training, I hit marathon number three last year and decided it was time to choose; get faster or go further. Decided on the latter and entered an ultra on the north coast of Ireland in September. Keeping everything crossed that it’s able to go ahead, if I do all the training and it gets cancelled last minute… :sweat_smile:

Great idea on the running thread, could type for days about it! Totally agree it’s a good way to get your bearings, a nice way to just see the sights on a short city break, too. Are you still able to get out for runs in CO atm?

1 Like

Running thread incoming, will likely expand categories next week…

Marathons! I did SF twice, Eugene OR, and Columbus OH twice. SF sucks, Eugene was a pleasant flat run (but my worst run) and I’d say Columbus wins as my highest recommendation. The city is really thriving, it’s flat, fans actually show up, and the whole production is really really well done.

Very jealous you’re tracking on an ultra - my bro-in-law is about to do his second and I’m really drawn to it. I’m not in distance shape, and running’s tough on my body, but it’s SO gratifying to finish a long race. Good luck with training!

In Denver our weather just shifted to summer, so running is definitely on the table. I’ve been on the bike most of winter (indoor).

Running thread. Great call. @Francoregonian a fellow runner as well!
We’ve been running in circles in Paris where the max distance from one’s house is 1km.

Running memories:

• SF: training for full marathon, getting ITBS three weeks before the race, ended up doing the half instead.
  • Peru: getting humbled at elevation- couldn’t run more than half a km
  • Hong Kong: getting caught in a typhoon during trail run on south side of island!

Luke-

Spot on. Luckily doing laps around the neighborhood is about my fitness level at the moment so it works out nicely. It’s been a good way to reestablish my running though after a few years of intermittent levels.

Memorable running experiences for me (gotta agree with the traveling to marathons bit):

• Getting to run Boston (2x), New York and Twin Cities in amongst my six marathons
  • Much like Luke & Derek pointed out, it’s been a great way to explore new cities (or learn every. single. sidestreet. during the confinement)
  • Going Fell Running in the Lake District of England. Thankfully I did this at my running peak (long past gone) so we got to cover a lot of ground
  • Jumping over a Goanna Lizard on a trail in the Blue Mountains of Australia. VERY memorable I suppose…
  • The multitude of times I ran through Forest Park in Portland, OR. Man, I miss the homeland sometimes…

Thanks for the poke and allowing me to share!

3 Likes

Had to google Goanna Lizard. Wow. You don’t forget that.

Running thread!

Stoked we have runners here - I’m ramping back up as weather turns (great way to get out of house).

@Luke @dtips

2 Likes

Not awesome news out of Mexico City – “The Mexican government is not reporting hundreds, possibly thousands, of deaths dismissing anxious officials who have tallied more than three times as many fatalities in the capital than the government publicly acknowledges, according to officials and confidential data reviewed by The New York Times.”

1 Like

But, wanted to follow that up with some awesome news out of Mexico too - Natalia Lafourcade, an amazing Mexican musician, is playing a live show tonight on YouTube. Gotta find the light where we can, right folks? :heart:

1 Like

oof. really not good news. are the streets still crowded or has social distancing become a thing?

1 Like

No crowded streets but definitely some scattered gatherings around. The city was begging people to leave their mamas alone yesterday despite it being mother’s day. It seems people are being considerate but hard to know to what degree.

2 Likes

Worthy read… if you’re in the mood :slight_smile:

"Scenario No. 1 depicts an initial wave of cases — the current one — followed by a consistently bumpy ride of “peaks and valleys” that will gradually diminish over a year or two.

Scenario No. 2 supposes that the current wave will be followed by a larger “fall peak,” or perhaps a winter peak, with subsequent smaller waves thereafter, similar to what transpired during the 1918-1919 flu pandemic.

Scenario No. 3 shows an intense spring peak followed by a “slow burn” with less-pronounced ups and downs."

“Circles at Gare du Nord train station in Paris marked safe social distances on Wednesday.”

Seen anything like this yet on your outings in Paris, @Luke ?

“An area equivalent to about 327 football pitches (!!!)” :soccer:

1 Like

LIVE FROM THAILAND – MALL ROBOTS :robot:

Anyone else out and interacting in the world yet? Not there yet in Mexico City…

Britain has an “obscene” need for flour. I’ve never hear that word used in that context :laughing: :bread:

1 Like

Anyone reporting from these cities? :smile:

Anyone else have isolation advice? :thinking:

Tokyo’s coming back to life, though lockdown was only ever voluntary.

A ton of friction with everyday shopping (temp checks, enforced distancing and hand sanitising etc). Trains still aren’t packed - Hitachi, Fujitsu, and a bunch of other big (usually traditional/conservative) companies have made ‘telework’ permanent.

1 Like

IMAGINE YOU WERE A HUMAN ON THIS PLANET AND DIDN’T KNOW ABOUT COVID!!!??!? :thinking:

1 Like