Came across this and loved the concept - apparently built this week by a bored dev in quarantine.
This quarantine is probably the best thing that ever happened to lonely people. A whole new world of virtual socialising!
Any good movie recs for the freshly quarantined??
A few I’ve been recommending on the off chance folks haven’t seen them:
- Waking Life - my fave Linklater film, and would be great ‘group watch’
- Lost in Translation - most have seen, but an elegant film about isolation feels time-appropriate
- Tiger King - not a movie but has gone viral in the US, makes for amazing TV (is it available internationally?)
- Outbreak - I mean, we’re living it
If you ever have a chance to watch either American Movie or King of Kong, do so. All-time great documentaries. Billy Mitchell ftw.
This is also a cool effort: Focus Features offering Monday night movies livestream with director Q&A:
Also helpful resource to cut down that endless Netflix scrolling (story of my life):
COOL AND AVAILABLE FREE AND STARTING TODAY. These guys know what they’re talking about.
Here’s a look at the 7 webinars and the special guest for each:
- Session 1 >> The Four Pillars of Story with Coop, aka James Cooper, a motivational coach and storytelling consultant .
- Session 2 >> What makes a remarkable character and the art of listening with Joan Fleishman, who is the Behavioral Health Clinical Director for Oregon Health & Science University’s Department of Family Medicine.
- Session 3 >> Developing your Story Keywords with Victor Ha, the Director of Marketing for Fujifilm.
- Session 4 >> The basics of plot and engagement with Cara Gresser, who leads up the brand content at Four Seasons .
- Session 5 >> Advanced plot and the 6 Essential Plot Points with Jamey Durham, a scriptwriting teacher and consultant .
- Session 6 >> The role of Place in creating authenticity and trust with Anne Hamby, a researcher who has published over 20 papers in the field of Narrative Transportation (which is a large part of how story works inside humans).
- Session 7 >> Integrating the whole process into your business and stories going forward with Jay Worsley, an award-winning filmmaker who has had amazing results integrating ideas from SoS into his business.
Man, that is very cool - I’ve always wanted to attend SXSW film but never could make it happen.
sweet lineup, did you catch any yet?
Most of the Studio Ghibli / Miyazaki canon is on Netflix right now. So good. So far this week watched (in order of fav):
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
EDIT: Just watched Ponyo. Moves to second on the list. Soooo good.
Obsessed with Ghibli. Spirited Away totally reset how I thought about film (and animation).
Any other Fleabag fans out there may appreciate -
Such. A. Great. Show.
It is available in Germany. And everybody in my social filter bubble is watching it and talking about it. For example, it is mentioned in many Podcasts that I regularly listen.
I started watching just this week…
It’s such a viral phenomenon. It’s highly entertaining and it’s really sad, all at once.
dad’s full review of TK: “they’re crazy, every single one of them is crazy.”
Anyone watching The Last Dance doc about MJ and the 90s Bulls?
I still get goosebumps listening to the Alan Parsons Project song that introduces the starting lineups.